STREAMING LIVE ONLINE OR IN-PERSON (LIMITED AVAILABILITY)
In Shylock , a co-production with our fellow San José artists at The Tabard Theatre Company, a Jewish actor playing Shakespeare’s notorious money-lender as a villain attracts unwelcome protests and controversy at a Shakespeare festival. The actor’s contentious production of The Merchant of Venice has just been shut down, and Shylock presents the actor holding a talkback session to defend his work.
Performed live online* from Tabard’s stage, using a multi-camera stream, Shylock is packed with ideas of censorship, history, representation, and the nature of art – it’s a testament to the power of The Bard sparking rich discussion and strong opinions.
*In addition to online streaming, a limited amount of in-person tickets are also available. See below for requirements and safety precautions.
By Mark Leiren-Young
Directed by Jonathan Rhys Williams
June 4 – 20, 2021
Talkback sessions will be hosted after the shows on June 6, June 13 and June 19. Patrons from any performance can attend any talkback session.
Venue: Online or In-Person at The Tabard Theatre (limited availability)
Note: SVS Donors Circle discounts are not available for this production.
Requirements for in-person attendance
Thanks to new state and local guidelines, we are now able to have a limited in-person audience for this production. Here are the requirements & safety protocols:
• Attendance of 50 persons maximum.
• Tickets must be purchased in advance, online.
• All patrons, volunteers, artists, and staff on site must be FULLY vaccinated (i.e. final shot at least 2 weeks prior to the performance) & show their vaccine card at the theatre.
• Temperature checks will be done at the door.
• Masks or facial coverings must be worn at all times during the performance. Patrons may remove their masks in the designated bar area and in their seat before or after the performance.
• There will be a minimum 12′ distance from the performers to the closest audience member.
A portion of all concession sales and donation made during the livestreams will be contributed to the Jewish Community Relations Council of Silicon Valley.
Get a behind-the-scenes look!
Meet the Cast
Jon Davies … Doug Brook