It’s a bird… it’s a plane… it’s SUPERSHAKES! Romeo is faster than a speeding bullet? Macbeth can teleport? Beatrice can read minds? Anything can happen at Silicon Valley Shakespeare’s sixth annual 48-hour festival, co-produced with the Foothill College Theatre Arts Department, where our writers will explore what happens when epic superheroes get thrown into a Shakespeare classic!
Date: January 5th, 2020
Co-producer: Foothill College Theatre Arts Department
Location: Lohman Theatre, Foothill College
Theme: What happens when epic superheroes get thrown into a Shakespeare classic?
We won’t know until 48 hours before the show!
From zero to new Shakespeare play in two days!
Every year, Silicon Valley Shakespeare produces a 48-hour play festival, partnering with a local college or university.
In one weekend (48 hours!), a wide array of local artists start with nothing, write, rehearse, and do a full public performance of eight new short plays!
This year’s festival will be in early January, 2020, co-produced once again with the Foothill College Theatre Arts Department. Details coming soon!
How it works
- 6:30pm Friday: Eight teams – each with a local writer, director, and actors – meet and find out their play’s criteria.
- Criteria: the Shakespeare play inspiring theirs, a required line of dialogue, required prop, and other surprises.
- 12pm Saturday: The writer submits a completed script, having spent all night writing from scratch!
- Saturday afternoon through Sunday afternoon: Everyone rehearses. A lot.
- 6:30pm Sunday: Eight completely new short plays premiere, in a full production for the public.
At the end of the performance, the audience votes for their favorites. Votes are counted during a brief audience talkback with the writers and directors.