There is magic in the air… Fairies wreaking havoc on Hamlet? Witches telling prophesies in Twelfth Night? Beatrice meeting… a ghost?!? Anything can happen at Silicon Valley Shakespeare’s fifth annual 48-hour Play Festival, co-produced with the Foothill College Theatre Arts Department, where our writers will explore what happens when a bit of magic gets thrown into the wrong Shakespeare classic!
Dates: TBA – January 2019
Co-producer: Foothill College Theatre Arts Department
Location: Lohman Theatre, Foothill College
Theme: What happens when a bit of magic gets thrown into the wrong Shakespeare classic?
From zero to new Shakespeare play in two days!
Every year, Silicon Valley Shakespeare produces a 48-hour play festival, partnering with a local college or university.
In one weekend (48 hours!), a wide array of local artists start with nothing, write, rehearse, and do a full public performance of eight new short plays!
This year’s festival will be in early January, 2019, co-produced once again with the Foothill College Theatre Arts Department. Details coming soon!
How it works
- 6:30pm Friday: Eight teams – each with a local writer, director, and actors – meet and find out their play’s criteria.
- Criteria: the Shakespeare play inspiring theirs, a required line of dialogue, required prop, and other surprises.
- 12pm Saturday: The writer submits a completed script, having spent all night writing from scratch!
- Saturday afternoon through Sunday afternoon: Everyone rehearses. A lot.
- 6:30pm Sunday: Eight completely new short plays premiere, in a full production for the public.
At the end of the performance, the audience votes for their favorites. Votes are counted during a brief audience talkback with the writers and directors.