Silicon Valley Shakespeare is accepting audition submissions for storytellers!
Folktales From Around the World
Directed by Anne Yumi Kobori
Seeking BIPOC actors/storytellers who identify with groups represented by one of the featured folktales in the production. This production will celebrate the art of storytelling by highlighting one principal performer playing multiple
characters for each folktale.
• Kai Kai & Treng Treng (Chile) by Justin P. Lopez
• Three Daughters (Korea) by M.J. Kang
• The Tragic Romance of Sohni and Mahiwal (Pakistan) by Tazeen Zahida
• Mami Wata (Nigeria) by Chiwuzo Ife Okwumbua
• The Two Bears (Yaqui/Mexico) by Alicia M. Retes (*Please note that the principal storyteller in this folktale has been pre-cast.)
• The Sun, The Moon, The Wind, & The Sky (India) by Shobha T. Srinivasan
Interested actors, please submit the following to Artistic Director, Angie Higgins, at
firstname.lastname@example.org by June 21st:
- Headshot (or recent photo)/Resume
- Video submission:
• Please do a slate to begin – introduce yourself (full name) and which folktale you are reading for.
• Please mention or include with your email any conflicts you may have during the rehearsal time period. Conflicts on performances not allowed. (Please see the schedule below.)
• Sides can be found HERE.
• Please title your video firstnamelastname_Folktales (ex. janedoe_Folktales) and upload in an unlisted YouTube link or GoogleDrive. Here is a video explaining the steps to do that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOr7JluzEOM
• Upload your self-tape by June 21st, 11:59pm PT. Please Email your audition link as part of your submission to email@example.com
• Additional Video Audition Tips
Compensation: Selected actors will be paid a total of $150.
• First read through: July 12th, evening
• Additional evening rehearsals to be scheduled starting July 20th
• Tech rehearsals: Aug. 10, 11, & 12
8/13 at 8pm
8/14 at 8pm
8/20 at 8pm
8/21 at 8pm
8/22 at 3pm
8/27 at 8pm
8/28 at 8pm
8/29 at 3pm
All rehearsals and performances will take place over Zoom. Storytellers can participate from anywhere in the world, but please note that rehearsal and performances schedules are based in the Pacific time zone. Reliable internet connection is required to participate in this online production. Support equipment will be provided to Bay Area performers, if needed.
Silicon Valley Shakespeare is deeply committed to the promotion of equity, diversity, and inclusion in their casting process and productions. We actively practice non-traditional and color-conscious casting in all our productions. We seek and highly encourage all actors to submit, regardless of race/ethnicity, disability, body type, age, orientation, or gender/gender identity.
INNOVATE * ILLUMINATE * INSPIRE