Silicon Valley Shakespeare (SVS) seeks a motivated, game-changing, full-time Marketing Director to help us continue bringing the organization to new heights. This position has the opportunity to significantly impact the growth trajectory of SVS and will be a key role in the company’s evolution. This position reports to the Executive Director and will manage and collaborate with the staff to ensure the success of this vital, vibrant organization in the Bay Area performing arts community.
ABOUT SILICON VALLEY SHAKESPEARE (SVS)
In 1999, SVS was founded with the mission of providing our community with economically equitable, professionally oriented theatre experiences, which remains central to our culture and identity today. Seasonally, we produce multiple free productions, and even at our few ticketed events, kids 17 and under always attend for free. In 23 seasons, we have served nearly 100,000 patrons, with free attendance to 62.5%, providing over $1.7M in free admission to those in our community who would otherwise be shut out of the arts. As part of our mission, SVS is actively working to foster diversity and inclusion through our programming, partnerships, policies, and principles. Read more about our commitment to proactive diversification and inclusion here .
SVS has grown significantly in the past few years, including moving multiple staff positions to full-time. With an annual operating budget of $220K, we’ve prioritized investing in our small but mighty crew—62% of our budget goes directly towards payroll. As SVS grows, we are committed to continue prioritizing our people first: our staff and our artists alike.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Marketing Director is a part-time position (~15 hours per week) that reports to the Executive Director and will manage and collaborate with the staff to ensure the success of this vital, vibrant organization in the Bay Area performing arts community. This position has the potential to move to full-time as SVS grows.
The Marketing Director has responsibilities in multiple areas, including but not limited to what’s detailed below. Some responsibilities can be oversight rather than executed single-handedly, when hiring or volunteer recruitment are possible.
The Marketing Director will primarily focus in the following areas:
• Marketing Strategy – Continuously strategize on a marketing plan and calendar; advise on marketing budget/spend.
• Promotion – Publicize SVS’s efforts and offerings, such as theatrical productions, education programs, and fundraising efforts.
• Growth and Analysis – Prioritize growing SVS’s overall reach and track marketing data for ROI and future strategies. Provide regular reports on our engagement, trends, reach, etc.
• Online Presence – Maintain and grow the company’s online presence, including but not limited to the SVS website, email blasts, and social media accounts.
• Graphic Design – As needed, develop and create promotional art for social media and website use.
• Supervision – Identify, hire, and coordinate any temporary contract work for graphic artists, copywriters, website designers or developers, public relations specialists, and printers.
• Collaboration with SVS staff and board on a continuous basis:
o Partner closely with the Development Director to align with development goals.
o Collaborate with the Artistic Director to effectively represent the artistic vision.
o Report to the Executive Director on a regular basis.
o Attend SVS staff meetings and board meetings.
The ideal candidate:
- Has excellent writing skills; able to write succinctly, engagingly, creatively, and with minimal editing required. (We staunchly support Oxford commas and em dashes.) Will help us to further determine and maintain SVS’ brand voice.
- Is a detail-oriented, collaborative self-starter with the ability to understand various programs’ needs (performance, education, development).
- Is outgoing, enthusiastic, and can engage the public warmly, and staff, board, artists, and volunteers professionally. A team player.
- Has some flexible availability for select evenings and weekends to attend performances, staff/board/production meetings, and occasional special events.
Imbued with a love for, or strong appreciation of, the performing arts.
- Has 2+ years of professional experience, preferably at a performing arts or other creative organization OR has a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, advertising, communications, or related fields.
- Is able to commute to the San José area, but potential for remote work based on experience.
- Skills/familiarity with the following:
o Constant Contact, Mailchimp or similar email marketing software
o Social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.); bonus points for experience with Facebook Business Suite or other social media scheduling software
o WordPress or similar web design software; basic HTML/some CSS knowledge
o Canva, Photoshop, or similar design softwareo Google Ads/Analyticso Microsoft Suite and Google Suiteo Video editing a plus, but not required
- Must be able to provide their own technical equipment (computer, any accessories, etc.)
- Flexible work hours / ability to choose your own schedule
- Flexible PTO policy and generous SVS company holidays
Salary starts at $15K with room for growth as SVS growshe Marketing Director has responsibilities in multiple areas, including but not limited to what’s detailed below. Some responsibilities can be oversight rather than executed single-handedly by the Marketing Director, when hiring or volunteer recruitment are possible. Depending on the candidate, we are also open to being flexible around duties as needed.
Silicon Valley Shakespeare is an equal opportunity employer and does not, in any of its activities or operations, discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
For questions or to submit your resume and cover letter, please contact Annalisa Tkacheff, Executive Director, at email@example.com .
Designer and Technical Positions
Production: Romeo and Juliet
Venue: Willow St. Park, San Jose
Dates: Show runs June 3-19 (pre-production meetings begin in early Spring/rehearsals begin late April, with teach beginning May 29)
• Wardrobe (volunteer w/total per diem of: $225)
• Board ops (volunteer w/total per diem of: $225)
• Scenic Set-Up/Tear-Down Crew (volunteer w/total per diem of: $225)
Venue: Sanborn Park, Saratoga
Dates: Shows run July 29-Sept.4 (pre-production meetings begin in the Spring/rehearsals begin mid-June, with tech beginning July 23l)
• Master Electrician (responsible for both shows/pay: $1,200)
• Wardrobe (volunteer w/a total per diem of: $225)
• Board ops (volunteer w/a total per diem of: $225)
How to Apply: Please send resume to Artistic Director, Angie Higgins at firstname.lastname@example.org.