Silicon Valley Shakespeare is accepting applications for writers!
Seeking BIPOC writers for paid commissions to retell classic folktales inspired by their own cultural identity. Selected writers will be commissioned to write a 10-15-minute short story to be performed by a storyteller accompanied by visual art and music as part of the virtual production: Folktales From Around the World (August 2021) directed by Anne Yumi Kobori.
Six writers will be selected, each representing one of the following regions:
· Latin America
· East Asia
· South Asia
· Polynesian Islands
· Indigenous North America
Interested writers, please submit the following to Artistic Director, Angie Higgins, at email@example.com by April 15th.
· Resume OR summary of writing experience
· Brief synopsis of folktale you would like to retell and country of origin. (Please note: We ask that writers are connected personally to the culture that originated the folktale proposed.)
· Creative writing sample (1-2 pages of a short story or script)
Pay: Selected writers will be paid a commission of $200 for their short story, which will be produced as part of Silicon Valley Shakespeare’s Foktales From Around the World program.
· Mid-May: Outline of story due for pre-production/visual artists
· Late May: Full story due for review
· Mid-June: Final revisions due
· Mid-July/Aug: Attend one rehearsal as a cultural consultant to ensure production is appropriately representing writer’s voice & culture. Writers are welcome to attend additional rehearsals if they so choose.
For more information on Silicon Valley Shakespeare visit: https://www.svshakespeare.org
INNOVATE * ILLUMINATE * INSPIRE